Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Epic Fail

Just so you know, I hate the phrase 'epic fail.' But I feel like it accurately describes my attempt at crafting tonight. So I busted it out for this one occasion.

I decided to decorate my kitchen in more cheerful colors. It's been a challenge for me since I normally use dark red, black, brown, cream... you know, those normal colors. I've been loving teal lately so I went for it. I'm also using red and yellow. Klay keeps telling me he doesn't want it to look like a circus. Oh ye of little faith! I've been shopping at Savers and Goodwill like crazy. There are so many great thrift and consignment stores here! I buy whatever catches my eye and throw a good coat of spray paint on it to make it work. After all, it's usually less than 5 bucks. Can't go wrong with that. Well, tonight didn't go over so well.

I have a quote that I love in my kitchen, "Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have." I'll admit, I need that reminder every once in a while. It no longer matches with the new decor so I decided to make a new one. I thought it would be super easy to make a stencil using my Cricut. That way I could sand it down a bit and it wouldn't be quite so... vinyly. Yeah, I suck.
(I've tried uploading this picture FIVE times and it keeps coming up sideways. It's staying that way folks.)
I didn't cover up a tiny little strip of the board so now I have to flip it over, paint the back, recut the word, respray paint it (being more careful to cover the entire thing), and then finish it up.

I found this amazing wooden tray for 5 bucks! I love how it turned out after a little paint and some white glaze. This time I decided to use craft paint for the letters so I didn't get spray paint all over the place. It was going great until I pulled the vinyl off. Hmmm...
I suck again. So then I started crying on the chair.
Just kidding. For some weird reason, right after I pulled the stencil off I got this intense stomach ache. I told Klay I was getting an ulcer from all these projects gone wrong. I was sitting on our rocking chair and asked Klay to take a picture of the tray in all it's ugliness. For some reason he decided to take a picture of me curled up in pain.

But wait, it gets worse. I tried to sand the letters on the tray and thought I had done a great job. I went to my shop (aka: the garage that no longer fits either of our cars from so many projects taking over) and sprayed away. It's almost like the new paint got under the old paint and started making it bubble up.
At that point, I knew I had reached my craft disaster limit and stopped for the night.

To make myself feel better, I took some pictures of some projects that actually turned out to post. I covered these plates with fabric and love how they turned out.

I also found this little thing at Savers. It was super ugly black and red with sick white knobs. Paint, glaze, and 50% off knobs from Hobby Lobby did the trick! Now it has a new home above the pantry. (That's an awful picture! Bad lighting and a bad angle. I promise the knobs really are cute. But I'm writing this in bed and I'm not getting up to take a new one. So that's what you get.)
Ok, that was really long. I'm going to bed. Maybe I'll try to fix all my craft crap in the morning. We'll see how it goes.

*And a little shout out to Kari, the grammar queen. This post is FULL of bad sentence structure. I thought of you as I was proof-reading it and thought it was funny and I would think of you cringing at all the bad grammar. I'm not fixing it. Come to think of it, I know you like posts with more pictures, less words. So maybe you won't even get this far. We'll see...*

10 comments:

Kari said...

I didn't think this post was bad! I did notice one use of it's when you meant its, but that was it. :) (I love the smiley faces.)

So about the paint bubbling...I can't really tell from the picture, but I think I've had that problem a lot. I once read a blog post about that problem. Let me try to find it. It's from All Things Thrifty, which is the site I think I've sent you before. Here's what she says about bubbles:

Why does spray paint bubble at times?
I have been getting this question a lot lately. I can only guess why the paint is bubbling based on why it has bubbled for me in the past. These are the reasons why I have had problems with this in my experience:
1. It is too cold. You need to spray paint between about 60 degrees and 85 degrees. Especially if it is "freezing" weather, your paint could literally freeze when it hits the cold air. I have seen this on many occasions.
2. It is too hot. If the weather is too hot, then the paint tends to dry too fast. If this is the case, it can bubble up also. Do not spray paint directly in the beating sun (especially in the summer) or your paint will bubble right up.
3. Your coats are too thick. If there is too much paint on the furniture, when it dries, it will cause it to bubble.
4. You are using a "cheap" spray paint (around $1.00 a can). This type of spray paint is much more apt to bubble.

What do I do if the paint bubbles?
Do NOT panic! :) Simply get a high grit sand paper (220) and lightly sand the bubbling after it is dry, and go over the area again with paint (no need to prime again).

http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/08/everything-i-know-about-spray-paint.html

Sorry for the huuuuge comment.

Reed, Julie , Macie, Branson & Allie said...

Cute projects! I especially love the plates!

AubreyandTerry said...

I love the color scheme! I wish I had the patience to do some crafting. I'm always seeing such cute ideas (like yours) and think, "I should do that." But it never happens. Anyway, good job, and I also love the plates!

Amber Wray said...

I think everything is darling! Even your "epic fail" as you call it! Who are you trying to kid everything you do is absolutely cute! Will you come stay for a weekend and help redecorate my place on a thrifty budget? It might be fun!!! Maybe I could come up with some epic fails of my own!

The Browning Family said...

Reading your blog post about re-finishing some furniture inspired me to give it a try. I failed miserably!!! The shelf now looks awful! So bad I will not post it on my blog!!!! Once again you have inspired me, HOW did you cover those plates???? I want to do that!! They are so cute!

Megh said...

Linds, these are NOT epic fails! I love the tray (and it's totally fixable), and the plates, and I don't think I'm the only one who wants to know how you covered them with fabric. Mod podge? Spray adhesive? Please post about it! And while you're at it, I want to see your newly decorated kitchen in all its glory!

Deidre and Joseph said...

When I saw the pictures, I thought your projects looked great! But then I read your blog and realized you thought something was wrong with them...I think the little red line on the happiness isn't bad, it makes it look whimsical. And the Love plate just looked aged.

I am going to sound like a terrible person, but it makes me feel better that you have epic fails, because I do too!!!

Unknown said...

So impressed by all your DIY projects! I love to see people's creative endeavors :) Your house is coming together so cute-- and your kids are ADORABLE!

Rachel said...

WOW, I'm just impressed at your attempts!!! I loooooooooove those plates, so cute!

Cassie said...

I applaud your craftiness!