Friday, January 28, 2011

Barn door? Why yes please.

I saw this project on a blog a long time ago and loved it but had nowhere to put it. We recently bought a huge dresser to put in our living room that we are going to refinish and will need some large decorations to put on it. (But the dresser is a post for another day. Like when it gets warm enough that we can work on it for more than 30 min at a time.) Klay used to make all my craft stuff for me at the cabinet shop but since we moved we have been slowly building our supply of power tools. When I decided to make this barn door I vowed not to let Klay help me. I wanted to do it all myself! I think I did a pretty good job if I do say so myself! Then again, how can you mess up something that's supposed to look old?
I learned how to use a chop saw, nail gun and compressor, and how to glaze something. Not bad for one afternoon! (I can't take full credit for the project. Avrie does a mean glazing job!)
And just a random story: We've never met our neighbors that live right next to us. I'm still not sure who actually lives there because there's always so many people coming and going. Really. Like all day, every day. We were pretty sure they were drug dealers because there's 2 doors on the side of the house and the people always go through the back one. People are only coming and going when the light on that side of the house is on. The Blinds on the door and window are always closed. The other day Avrie's blinds were open when I was laying her down for a nap and I just happened to glance over at the house. Lo and behold the blinds were open and you'll never believe what I saw... fingernail polish. A whole wall of it. So I guess if you come visit and you need your nails done in a hurry we know where to send you! Mystery solved. Unless it's a cover up for dealing drugs...

5 comments:

stevie kay said...

Your story about the neighbors made me laugh hysterically. Maybe because we've spent most of our married lives with neighbors like that :-)

Deidre and Joseph said...

It looks fabulous!

Reed, Julie , Macie, Branson & Allie said...

oooooooh, I like it! Nice job!

Katie Lee said...

so crafty, it looks GREAT!!! I wish it was warmer weather so I can work on projects!!! I do love your neighbor story, that is funny!

Geoffrey and Sharee said...

That's so cute! I seriousy love it! I can't wait for our craft weekend. Only 2 weeks to go!! Yay!