Monday, February 1, 2010

I was a perfect mom before I had kids

Before I had kids I knew exactly what I was going to do as a mom.

-My kids would never watch more than a half hour of tv a day.
-They would always be dressed in the cutest outfits with hair done perfect, a perfectly matching bow, and shoes to finish off the outfit (even before they needed shoes).
-I would play for hours with my kids every day doing puzzles, games, and singing songs.
-My house would never be dirty with kid's toys all over the place.
-The kid's toys would stay in their rooms, leaving no trace of kids in the living room or main living area.
-I would make nutritious and delicious meals every single night.
-My kids would NEVER be that kid in church who was bouncing all over the place and talking loud enough that everyone in the chapel can hear. They would sit quietly and read books and color reverently all through the meeting.
-I would be so patient with my kids as to never yell at them and especially never spank them.
-I would stay busy all the time improving myself by making glorious crafts and homely decorations non-stop while I stayed home with my kids.
-I would always be in a good mood when my husband got home from work to show him my appreciation for all the hard work he does for our family.
-I would loose all my baby weight within days of having a baby and look just as good as the day we got married. (I actually took PRE-PREGNANCY jeans to wear home from the hospital when I had Avrie. Duh!)
-My kids would sit at the table with awesome table manners and eat whatever was set in front of them without complaining. (Naturally, since it was all nutritious and delicious, right?)
-My kid's rooms would be decorated perfectly and completely color coordinated as their own little nursery with their name neatly hung on the wall.
-I would LOVE every minute of staying home with my kids and fulfilling my life-long dream of being a stay at home mom.

THEN I HAD KIDS...

And this is what my life looks like. (Please don't judge me, I was perfect before I had kids, you know.)
My unmade bed. You can see the pillow barrier I put up because I laid Boston next to me in bed this morning and went back to sleep.
This one needs no explanation.
This is as close to 'put away' as these toys ever get. Shoved in the corner of our living room.
The pile of dirty clothes on Avrie's floor. I'm not even going to show you the pile in my room, it's too embarrassing. It's about 6 loads of laundry just piled in the corner!
"Boston's Room" aka: Computer room, craft storage area, misc box storage, bookshelves piled with random stuff... ok it's not really his room, only his bed (that's actually a pack and play because we didn't want to buy another crib) in the midst of a huge mess.
My awesomely dressed kids. Yes, it's 2:00 in the afternoon and Avrie is still in her pajama top with no bottoms on. Even better, Boston is still in his clothes from yesterday that he slept in last night and I still haven't changed him.
My lunch. Chex muddy buddies and a Dr. Pepper. It's no mystery why I haven't lost that extra poundage from having babies. In my defense, Avrie had left over spaghetti so at least her lunch was healthy.

How's that for the perfect mom I thought I would be?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I love this! I'm so glad I'm not alone in all of the crazy things that I thought I was being so realistic in expecting that I would do/be along with being a mom. Your kids are happy and loved, so I'd say you ARE a perfect mom. :)

stevie kay said...

I was a perfect mom before I had kids, too. Let's hang out this week sometime and let the kids play together.

Megh said...

This is seriously so refreshing! I, obviously, think I will be a perfect mom when I have kids, but very few people have been brave enough to tell me the bold truth! Thank you!

Kari said...

here's my confession: i just changed beck (about 5:30pm) out of the outfit he wore yesterday and all night.

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! It's definitely true for my life as well!! Your kids are sooooo cute, even when they aren't perfectly dressed! I can't believe how big Averie? is. She has changed a lot since we saw her in softball. SOO adorable!! How fun!!

Mindy said...

Love it!..you're definitely not alone!

The High Family- said...

Some days I actually don't get anyone dressed, even myself. You are such a good mom. Your kids always look adorable. About the extra weight comment, seriously you are so skinny and beautiful to boot. If I could have a face transplant, I would want yours!

Reed, Julie , Macie, Branson & Allie said...

So yesterday Macie was wearing the same shirt that she was wearing all day Sunday and through the night, so that made me laugh! Plus her hair was in the very same pigtails that she slept in, and I even took her to Winco like that:) AND....she rarely has both pants and a shirt on these days! Usually one or the other....or none! She loves to be naked, and is learning how to take her clothes of herself. I thought I'd be a lot more perfect too, but from all your comments it sounds like we are at least normal:)

AubreyandTerry said...

This is too funny, and so true!! And I have to say, I love the comments from all of the other moms. Let me just say, it makes me feel SOOO much better about myself. Cause I could have sworn that you, Ashley, and Julie were perfect moms! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's little girl has the same pigtails in from the day before. Here's my confession... I hurry and get the kids dressed right before Terry gets home, so that he doesn't know that they wore jammies all day! HA!!

Unknown said...

I love this post! You are a perfect mom! Those kids are darling. My mom and sister just LOVE Boston. They talk about him every time I see them. And that lunch you ate...perfection. I want some muddy buddies!

Streett's said...

Great post! I feel the same!

Rachael and Clay Anderson said...

I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one who has days like that. I just tell myself that it only happens sometimes and then I just pray no one knocks on my door on those days! And maybe I'm worse because as I type this I'm sitting here in my robe, that's right my robe, not even pajamas, and no, I haven't showered yet!

Rachel said...

HAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!! I love you!!! That was awesome! Why do moms like to pretend everything is perfection? I love a little honest blogging! :) You're the best!

Jaimie said...

Hahahaha......