Lately I've been craving healthy, fresh food. It's hard to find anything fresh in February in Idaho and it seems like everything I make has a very large amount of cream of chicken or cream cheese. If you have any good ideas for healthy dinners please share, I'm in the mood to try new things right now. I found this chicken burrito recipe online and made it for dinner last night. It was so delicious!
2 plum tomatoes, cored
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tsp canola oil, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 tsp lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 scallions, chopped
6 small corn tortillas, heated
1. Heat a medium skillet over high heat until very hot. Add tomatoes and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until charred on all sides, 8-10 min. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise; squeeze to discard seeds. Remove cores and chop the remaining pulp and skin.
2. Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 tsp oil to the pan and heat over high heat until very hot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is no longer pink in the middle, 3-5 min. Transfer to a plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tsp oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 min. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add lime juice, the chicken and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1-2 min. Stir in cilantro and scallions. Divide the chicken mixture among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.
*** Things I changed...
-Didn't add scallions.
-Didn't have any limes so I added a little lemon juice for the citrus flavor. Limes would be GREAT in it though.
-Used roma tomatoes, so they didn't cook up very well in the very beginning. Still turned out yummy.
-Added more cilantro than that, then topped with more when I put my burrito together. I love it!
-When I make it again I'll definitely double it because it was just the right amount for our little family but I'm still craving it so I wish I had left overs today!
Usually when I make tacos or burritos I add tons of sour cream and taco sauce, making them much less healthy. These were so juicy and had such a good flavor that I just topped with extra cilantro, lettuce and a little cheese. YUM!!!
(Ok, I have a confession. I didn't even know what a scallion was. After I wrote this post I googled it and lo and behold, it's just a green onion! Glad I know now. It was still good without!)
January 2019
7 years ago

2 comments:
I'm in love with the Deceptively Delicious cookbook right now. I think you can go to their website and get recipes too. deceptivelydelicious.com
I UNDERSTAND. I ALWAYS THOUGHT A SCALLION WAS SOME SORT OF FISH. WHY DON'T THEY JUST CALL THEM GREEN ONIONS?
Post a Comment