Monday, December 7, 2009

Ginerbread festivities

Saturday night we made gingerbread houses with the Roberts (PLEASE DON'T MOVE ROBERTS!!!!) and it was a blast. We started out with some homemade pizza. I had never made them before so I was a little worried but they turned out good. Of course a picture because here in the blogging world, simply telling people about anything is not enough, we must include a picture of our half eaten dinner...
I've never had a successful gingerbread house experience with graham crackers because they always fall apart but Ryanne had a killer icing recipe that actually held them together! Here's the girls' before and after pics. Don't Ryanne's icicles look so natural and real that you felt like you were looking at a real house until further inspection?

The boys have 'before' and 'LATER' pictures because theirs were so huge and elaborate that even though we started at 8 and didn't end until 1 AM, they STILL weren't done!

This is what the middle of the table looked like... between the boys' enormous creations and all the decorating supplies Ryanne and I had like 1 square foot combined to work on our houses!
Tonight we're off for more holiday festivities to decorate sugar cookies with all of Klay's family. I love all the goodies this time of year! (Although I have been feeling quite groggy and gross from all the junk I've ALREADY been eating.)

3 comments:

Kari said...

I recently learned that the key to a good gingerbread house is HOT GLUE! Hot glue your house together, then use icing for the decorations. Much better!

Benji and Rypie said...

haha i love that you included the realisticness of my icicles. We had a lot of fun that night... even though we were zombies the next day. Ben worked on his for at least an hour and a half on Sunday. Weirdo. By they way, the pizza was delicous.

Meg-D said...

I would love the killer icing recipe!