That's right. A huge white wall. Staring blankly at you right when you walk in. Why, you might ask, is that her favorite wall when it has nothing special on it? Well I'm about to tell you a true story.
I watch my friend Meghann's baby twice a week, on Thursday afternoons and all day Friday. Last Thursday when Meg was dropping Olivia off she commented, "I don't know how you keep your house so spotless all the time!" I laughed out loud. I proceeded to explain that I know when she is coming. Every time Meg comes over I am expecting her. If she were to just drop by one day, I guarantee it would be a disaster. Because it is a disaster 90% of the time! And even when I know Meg is coming, I only have to clean the living room becuase of THIS WALL.
Do you know what it's hiding... (Don't look if you have a queezy stomach or you're a germaphobe!)
Gross! But I'm not afraid to admit that there are dirty dishes in the sink. Left over dishes and food on the counter from lunch. A couple diaper bags that have been there for days, probably since Sunday. I haven't swept in days. This is even after some cleaning. I would have taken a picture of it at it's worst if I knew I was going to go off on this tangent right now.
So then I got thinking about all the people that are so perfect in my mind. What's hiding behind their huge white wall? Not that we're being fake, but we all just want to make a good impression, right? So I'm going to take a gamble and say it is just in my mind.
You know what... there's a HUGE mound of launrdy in my room waiting to be washed right now. And I guarantee someone else will post a picture on their blog today that doesn't show a huge pile in their bedroom, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
And on Sunday I'll look around at all the 'perfect' families while my kids throw a crayon across the chapel, but I guarantee their kid has done that at least once before.
And we'll stay home all weekend and just hang out, not doing anything big. Someone will post about their amazing weekend in sunny wherever they vacation 18 times a year and I'll be jealous. But there was a weekend not long ago that they just hung out at home and didn't post about it.
There are some days I can't even look at blogs because it just makes me feel bad about myself and my messy house, laziness that I didn't complete 47 crafts this week, or make a gourmet homemade meal every night this month. I hope you never feel like that here (or ever). Because if you do, you should just peek around the white wall!
(Just because he's so stinkin' cute!)
PS - That huge white wall has some amazingly awesome stuff that's supposed to be decorating it, if we could ever get to some of those pesky projects on our list. I needed to enlist the help of my scooter boy so it has to wait until after tax season, which ends in 4 days, in case you were wondering. You just wait, you'll be impressed!

10 comments:
Just get one of those bloggers who loves to craft and decorate to finish that wall for you. Not me, though, cause I'm not that person.
yes, everyone has a big white wall...i do in every unnoticed corner of my house:) I literally do have a huge wall that covers up my kitchen too, and I love it! I always have dirty dishes:) I admire you for accomplishing so many projects already, Your posts on them are always real inspiring!
love, Rebekah
It's SOOOOO true..and for those that happen to have a clean house all the time, I think of how unhappy they must be. At least at the end of the day my kids are happy from being played with, even if my house isn't spotless. It's all about what matters most. Your house isn't a disaster - nothing to be embarrassed of at all!:)..and ps the last picture is adorable!
I get ancy if i'm in a too-clean house. it sorta gives me the willies, like nobody really lives there.
I don't have a white wall, people just walk right into the clutter, and at this junction in my life that is ok with me. My computer room/food storage/sewing room is getting scary even for me, though.
Love this. I feel like that so much! And looking at the "perfect" blogs kills me sometimes! I have to take breaks from the Internet so I don't feel too crappy about my less than perfect life--
Very true....especially with me. My house has 2 big walls covering the kitchen....thank goodness. Because it's always coved in dishes and food on the floor from Branson. And they also hide the laudry room that has laundry crawling out of it right now:) I wasn't a big fan of those walls blocking the kitchen when we were looking at the house, but they're growing on me! The only bad thing is that the dining room is the first thing you see when you walk in the house. So when I don't feel like cleaning up after dinner...everyone who comes over sees:)
So true... I have many white walls that I put up in my life. Recently a friend emailed me for career advice because she said I act like I have it all put together. I replied back asking "really? really?"
And there's stuff at home going on that is so sad and frustrating that I just can't talk about it. Which makes me feel like a hypocrite because I hate internet life vs. personal.
I love this post.
Ah Linds, I love you!
Oh psh! Whatever! I just got done watching "hoarders" with all these NAAAAAAAAAASTY people living in ceiling high filth. Your kitchen looks great for being "dirty." But yes, thank goodness for hider-type walls! I want one! My dining room, living room, and kitchen is ONE BIG AREA and I despise it.
Post a Comment