Thursday, August 19, 2010

Extreme Makeover {Day 2}

First things first... I got my picture with Pauly!!!
When we arrived in Poky bright and very, very early (after waking up at the unimaginable hour of 5 am), Pauly was out playing catch with one of the crew members. He really is my favorite designer by far. He's always out among the volunteers and talking to everyone. He is absolutely hilarious and not afraid to be friendly to everyone. He's the only designer who is actually seen walking around talking even when filming isn't going on. During lunch he actually came and ate with all the volunteers in the catering tent while the other designers were hiding out where ever they sneak off to.

Klay's dream finally came true and he got a picture with Jillian today as well. It was with all the men from Rockwell so we're still working on an individual picture but I have full confidence we'll get one before the week is over. She was also very friendly today and willing to let people take pictures with her. She really only shows up when they're filming but when she is out and about she's super friendly as well. And Ed, the bald guy... SUPER funny guy but isn't around much. No pics of him yet since we hardly ever see him. But I like what I've seen so far.
Ty, on the other hand, I have completely changed my mind about! Sorry to break it to you but he is such an ornery guy! That happy, smiley, hyper Ty you see on the show... well let's just say he's only like that when the camera's are rolling. One of the Rockwell guys, Matt, was standing right by him and said hi and Ty TOTALLY ignored him. Didn't even acknowledge his presence. Then Matt asked if he would mind taking a picture with him and Ty still ignored him. Matt persisted and said, "Will you just glance at the camera man?" Finally Ty looked at the camera, not even smiling, then went about his business. Ok, I get it. I would hate to be a celebrity and have my picture taken all the time but you can at least be nice to people! Maybe just say hi or something. He actually has to do two shows at once. There's another home makeover going on in Wisconsin this week so Ty was only here yesterday and today and will be back in town for the last 2 days of taping after he finishes up taping there for a few days. Crazy huh?
 Well, enough of the designers... today started out really slow. We got to Poky around 6:30 and waited... and waited.... and waited...
 (here we are waiting.....)
The Braveheart walk (where all of Rockwell and the subs march down the road to the house) was supposed to be filmed at 8 am and we waited until about 12:30 to do it. Everything goes SO slow when the production crews are taping. Everything has to be taped about 3 times and it takes forever to make everything look just the way they want it, like a whole hour just to pull one window out of the house so that it looks great on tv.  It was still fun to see how everything works behind the scenes though.
 (getting ready for march, I look pretty awesome in that hard hat...)
After the walk came demolition! At first it was a little slow because the cameras have to be staged just right but once the cameras were taken down it went super fast. Here's a little sneak peek at the demolition Ty is the guy with the rainbow stripes on his hat and yelling in his little camera. (And just so you know, I STILL have that tune stuck in my head that is playing in the background because I had to listen to it SO many times today!)      
Once the house was basically a pile of rubble Klay was excited to get to have a hands-on part of the action. He was laughing that they had these two HUGE back hoes and he pulls up in this little puny one to get the stuff close to the fence. But every little bit helps right?

A few more random thoughts with pictures just so I can remember them myself:
 The original house, pre-demolition. (Sort of, windows already broken out and all front yard trees removed.)
Jillian was entertaining us all with funny poses for pictures while we were waiting for filming.
The orchestra was playing in the back yard for the filming of the demolition since the family is very musical and the oldest daughter plays with them. The conductor came over and grabbed Brent's boy, River, to lead them. He told him, "Look how much power you have!" as he would help him wave the stick faster or slower and make the whole orchestra  vary in speed. It totally made River's day and I love when people like that take 3 minutes out of their own world to make someone else's day.
Oh Ty... if only you were really as nice as you seem on tv...
A pile of what used to be a house!

I just talked to Klay and they have a hole for the foundation and were getting ready to pour concrete. It's so weird that by the time I get back there tomorrow they will have all the concrete set and be half way done framing a house! We'll see how Klay does staying up all night... I have a hard time keeping him up past 10:30. But I'm also not in need of an entire house being built in 4 1/2 days!

Good night folks, I'm EXHAUSTED! Tune in tomorrow for day 3 (if you dare read a novel again!).

5 comments:

The Browning Family said...

That is so cool you guys get to be a part of something so special. That family is very lucky!!

Whitney said...

So Awesome!! What a neat experience!

Geoffrey and Sharee said...

Thats awesome that you get to be part of it! Good Luck waking up early. I know how much you like your sleep!

Deidre and Joseph said...

I am SO JEALOUS! I want to see how they build a house!

Cassie said...

I met Ty once. At a 311 concert. He called me "Casey". I was not impressed either...